Christmas is in the air…
Having Christmas holidays is the perfect time to relax, eat well and enjoy the cosiness of home. Here is my recipe for a perfect Christmas hygge at home:
- Make a DIY Christmas tree: my husband made a hand-made minimalist Christmas tree. Why not after all? Can be a very creative family activity! Create. Make it happen. Have fun!
2. Bake Kanelbullar – Swedish Christmas cinnamon rolls: not only IKEA offers them as a pastry to eat together with your tea or coffee. The perfect desert/ breakfast during Christmas time.
1 tsp. saffron
175 ml milk
1 cube of fresh yeast/ or whatever yeast you can find on the market
1 tea cup sugar
55 g butter
1/4 tea cup sour cream
500 g white flour
pinch of salt
200 g raisins
1 egg for glazing
1.Pour the saffron in a large bowl, warm the milk and mix them well together with a metal stirrer. Add the yeast, the sugar and the cinnamon. Carefully dissolve the yeast in the milk and leave the mixture for 15 minutes.
2. Put the flour in another bowl and add the salt. Make a well and break the eggs inside. Add the cream, the melted butter, and the milk mixture.
3. Mix very well with a wooden spoon and add more flour (if needed) and knead until it becomes a soft and a non-sticky dough. Leave it to rise for 2 hours in a warm place or until the dough doubles its volume.
4. Soak the raisins in warm water.
5. Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a floured counter top. Make a soft ball of it adding flour (if necessary). Add the drained raisins and the nutmeg.
6. Divide the dough into 11-12 parts. Form a wick about 30-35 cm long from each piece and then roll it in a spiral, placing a raisin in the middle. Transfer the rolls to a baking sheet and leave them for another 30 minutes to rise again.
7. Brush the buns with the last egg, sprinkle with sugar and place them in a preheated at 180 degress oven for 30 minutes.
- Prepare homemade Glühwein: no need to visit Germany to warm up with a fruity Gluhwein after a cold day. It’s so easy to make it at home and soo warm and delicious. J’adore…
Ingredients (for 4 people):
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
20 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
Rum or amaretto, for serving (optional)
Combine the ingredients all together in a large saucepan and warm the mixture in a medium head without boiling. Leave the mixture simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
P.S. One bottle is enough for 4 people. For more, add more wine and double the rest!
- Exchange Christmas presents: this year I got the best Christmas present ever!!! A Wallpaper World map (160×100)! Just amazing! Something to remind me to never stop dreaming! How did you spend your Christmas? Was it fun-full-house-plenty-of-food-and-presents?
Thanks for reading!